[wdmaudiodev] The "correct" way to install a Virtual sound card driver

  • From: "Paul Titchener" <pt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 14:25:27 -0700

We have an application that makes use of a “virtual” sound card driver, derived
from one of the MS MSAVD virtual driver examples.

The driver is working fine but we are having some problems installing it on
some machines.

To do the installation we created our own installation .exe using the Devcon
program source code as our starting point.

This installer works on most machines, including all our test machines, but for
a subset of users in the field the driver install is failing.

Is there a better way to install a virtual driver than using a devcon type
approach, more like installing a “real” piece of hardware?

We have an unrelated product that uses a USB driver we customized but the
installation process for this is much simpler, we just place the .inf and .sys
files in the Drivers folder during the application installation and when the
device is plugged in Windows automatically spawns its standard installer for
drivers.

I’m assuming an issue with a “virtual” driver is that there is no hardware that
gets plugged in to initiate the installation process but is there an
alternative to the devcon type approach we can take that is more like
installing a “real” driver and will be more reliable?

Thanks,

Paul T.