[wdmaudiodev] Re: System and application sounds difference?

  • From: Robert Bielik <robert.bielik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 21:17:11 +0100

Matthew van Eerde skrev 2010-11-10 17:49:
I see.

I ask because there is, by design, no supported way for an application to
change the default device.  (Imagine if two applications wanted to change the
default device...) The user can change the default device in the control panel.

Well the user opens my application, thereby _explicitly_ wanting to use it. So
I change the default device. This is transparent towards the user.
Otherwise, he/she will have to:
a) Change the default device to mine
b) Change the configuration of thetarget sound device
c) Change the configuration of the VAD device to match step in b)

Hardly a transparent user experience...

There's also no supported way for an application to change the default device
format.  The user can change the default device in the control panel, and the
device can change what formats it supports at runtime, which will prompt a
reevaluation of the default device.

Ok, I've asked this before on the list. How exactly am I supposed to invalidate
the device so that Windows will requery supported formats ?
The only way I found in Vista is to delete the default format entries under
MMDevices/Audio/Render, and that's not documented/supported(?) either.
Otherwise it will stick with 2ch, even though I've changed the device to 5.1
surround.

/Rob