[wdmaudiodev] Re: Support for installable drivers in 64bit Vista.

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <emuzychenko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom Eckert <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 00:06:41 +0600

Hello Tom,

> Have you successfully loaded a user mode MME driver in x64 Vista?

Yes.

> I tried putting a 64 bit version in Drivers32 and a 32 bit version in
> SysWOW64 (with the same filename) and changed the wave entry in
> SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 and
> SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 but I
> still only see wdmaud exposed devices in 32 or 64 bit apps with
> waveOutGetNumDevs() waveOutGetDevCaps().

I had replaced "wdmaud.drv" in the "wave" entry of Drivers32 by my
driver's DLL module name, placed a driver module to System32\drivers
and my 64-bit driver module reported its load and responds to WIDM_XXX
and WODM_XXX messages.

> Is there some background process "fixing" the edited registry entries?

I never seen such.

> Hakon Strande at MS suggested that I needed to sign the user-mode driver

User-mode audio drivers are not required to be signed because they are
simply DLLs.

Try to add debug messages (OutputDebugString or file creation) to your
driver's DRV_XXX and WxDM_XXX processing. You can use DbgView to see
OutputDebugString results.

You also can try a simplest test driver I used:

http://software.muzychenko.net/tmp/waveumd.zip

Regards,
Eugene