[wdmaudiodev] Re: Streaming SPEEX encoded voice over USB Audio class 1.0

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:27:47 -0800

Szabolcs Sandoly wrote:

> We are in a process of developing drivers for a novel wireless headset
> and I have a concern regarding streaming SPEEX encoded voice over USB
> Audio class 1.0. Since SPEEX (or other voice coder) is not a supported
> format according to the USB Audio 1.0 specification, I am wondering if
> is there any trick to solve this streaming problem.

The USB Audio Class Formats spec says in section 3, "It is always
possible to use vendor-specific definitions if the above procedure [for
registering a new format] is considered unsatisfactory."

However, I don't know whether usbaudio.sys will know what to do with
that.  Usbaudio.sys is a fabulous resource, as long as you don't push
too hard on the sharp edges.  It may be that you need to use a filter
driver to coerce usbaudio into handling things for you.