[wdmaudiodev] Re: Setting KSPROPERTY_AUDIO_VOLUMELEVEL

  • From: Larry Osterman <Larry.Osterman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 05:08:25 +0000

To pile onto Frank's comment, the taper algorithm for XP RTM, XP SP2 and Win7
are all different (I don't remember if Vista and Win7 have different tapers).

The IAudioEndpointVolume::SetMasterVolumeLeveldB API is guaranteed to *not*
apply a taper; it's the only API (other than directly setting
KSPROPERTY_AUDIO_VOLUMELEVEL directly) which is guaranteed not to apply a
taper.  And of course that assumes that the audio driver isn't applying its own
taper (unfortunately we've found external drivers which do that).

Larry