[wdmaudiodev] Re: Sample rate problem with usbaudio.sys

  • From: "Jerry J. Trantow" <Jerry.Trantow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:19:23 -0600

A few years ago I did an excel spreadsheet that laid out the problems with
various OS and wave formats.  I believe this spreadsheet is in the file
section.  The spreadsheet laid out which waveformat needed to be used with
which OS for a particular audio format.  Notice there are lots of
inconsistencies.  Generally, you have trouble when kmixer gets involved.
That's my guess on your problem going from 24 bit to 16 bits in Win98.

There is an additional problem in XP if you first request a format with
WAVEFORMATEX that fails and then try the correct use of
WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE.  Something about the failed WAVEFORMATEX screws up the
XP audio system and you get essentially no data when it opens with
WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE.

If you don't want to change the soundcard firmware to support the other
formats you could implement a filter driver below usbaudio.sys that would
convert the 24-bit stereo to a variety of formats (8,16,24 bits mono or
stereo).  The filter driver would make your usbaudio device to appear as
supporting these formats and kmixer would stay out of the way.

Email direct if you want to discuss the filter driver further.