[wdmaudiodev] Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: USB Audio/WASAPI channel limits?

  • From: "Jerry Evans" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 19:12:50 -0000

Hello Florian,

I am curious. What can ASIO provide that WASAPI cannot?

BR,

Jerry.

Från: Tim Roberts
Datum: 2014-02-13 18:51
Till: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx;
Ämne:[wdmaudiodev] Re: Re : Re: USB Audio/WASAPI channel limits?

robert.bielik wrote:

Hmm... USB Audio 2 class is a standardized specification. I would've assumed
that Microsoft generally would be keen on standards compliance?

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

There are a number of USB class specs that do not have generic in-the-box
drivers from Microsoft.  There has to be a business case to justify the
considerable development and testing expense.  Standards are only
interesting if they are used.  If USB Audio 2 is a niche standard that is
only interesting to a tiny fraction of the market (and the current evidence
suggests that is the case), then it doesn't make sense to develop a class
driver.  To four decimal places, Audio Class 1.0 satisfies 100% of the
Windows users in the world.

As a point of comparison, remember that Visual C++ STILL does not support
the C99 ISO standard, and there are a lot more C99 developers than there are
USB Audio 2 devices.