[wdmaudiodev] Re : Re: KS Studio query

  • From: robert.bielik <robert.bielik@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gordik55@xxxxxxxxxxx <gordik55@xxxxxxxxxxx>, wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 20:05:39 GMT

Hi Gordon, portaudio will support WaveCyclic and WaveRT devices (which support
"realtime" category), and uses same enumeration methods as ks studio. So I find
it extremely odd that the latter wouldn't list the same devices.
Regards
/R
From: timr@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 10:13:51 -0800

gordon keith wrote:

In Portaudio I can list and play to laptop speaker as a ks device, but in
ksstudio I can't see it or play to it as a ks device.

Does anyone know why this would be and what I would need to do to render to the
laptop speaker as a ks device.

I realise I could answer by reverse engineering portaudio, but wondered if
anyone could help before I do that.

There's a potential for confusion here, so I want to make sure we're all on the
same page.

When you say "laptop speaker", are you referring to the speaker connected to
the audio hardware on your motherboard? That is, the one that gets exposed as
Realtek Audio or Intel HD Audio or whatever? If so, then that certainly should
be exposed in ksstudio. You can try graphedt and see if you can attach to it
there.

Or is it possible you mean the primitive two-wire speaker that is used for
boot-time error codes? If that's what you mean, that is not a KS device, and
never will be. If Portaudio supports that speaker, then it must have its own
codec and its own buffer management. There is no kernel driver to do that.