[wdmaudiodev] Re: Questions about multichannel recording audio device.

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vincent Burel (VB-Audio)" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 18:07:18 +0700

Hello Vincent,

> we built our VAC without using any part of yours

As I already told, you have taken .inf file from VAC 4.09 or 4.10 and
modified it very slightly.

> we basically used the Audio Driver Template from the Microsoft DDK

I see it clearly from your code. I don't say that you have used my
source code.

> where also the inf file are coming from

Anybody can compare .inf files and see many key points from VAC, not
from MSVAD:

MSVAD:

[Manufacturer]
%MfgName%=MicrosoftDS,NTAMD64,NTIA64
[MicrosoftDS]
%MSVAD_Simple.DeviceDesc%=MSVAD_Simple,*MSVADSimple
[MicrosoftDS.NTAMD64]
%MSVAD_Simple.DeviceDesc%=MSVAD_Simple,*MSVADSimple
[MSVAD_Simple.NT.Services]
AddService=msvad_simple,0x00000002,msvad_Simple_Service_Inst
[msvad_Simple_Service_Inst]
DisplayName=%msvad_simple.SvcDesc%
ServiceType=1
StartType=3
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%10%\system32\drivers\vadSimpl.sys

VAC:

%Provider%=DevSection,NTamd64
[DevSection]
%DeviceName%=DevInst,%HardwareId%
[DevSection.NTamd64]
%DeviceName%=DevInst,%HardwareId%
[DevInst.NT.Services]
AddService=%ServiceName%,0x2,SrvInstSection
[SrvInstSection]
DisplayName=%DeviceName% (WDM)
ServiceType=%SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType=%SERVICE_DEMAND_START%
ErrorControl=%SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
ServiceBinary=%12%\%DriverFile%

VB-VAC:
[Manufacturer]
%Provider%=DevSection,NTamd64
[DevSection]
%DeviceName%=DevInst,%HardwareId%
[DevSection.NTamd64]
%DeviceName%=DevInst,%HardwareId%
[DevInst.NT.Services]
AddService=%ServiceName%,0x2,SrvInstSection
[SrvInstSection]
DisplayName=%DeviceName% (WDM)
ServiceType=%SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
StartType=%SERVICE_DEMAND_START%
ErrorControl=%SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
ServiceBinary=%12%\%DriverFile%

You even kept my "2k+ installation", "98SE installation" and other
comments that I have removed in 4.11.

In fact, I'm not greedy and would gladly permit you to use this file
freely in your product if you asked me for. It is very unpleasant
seeing that you use it on the sly, together with using my product name
to promote your own.

> (I guess you took your inf file from there too).

I wrote a completely own text, just looking at some audio driver .inf
files (MSVAD too) for information. You may compare files from any VAC
version to any other driver files; you'll find only similar parts that must be
the same for all audio drivers.

> Until now I've considered V.A.C. as generic acronym for "Virtual Audio
> Cable", Like EQ is for Equalizer.

That's a demagogy. There are many "VAC" abbreviations, standing for
many different things. But the "Virtual Audio Cable" is a name of the
particular, well-known product with a long story. You are using
exactly the same name here and on your site to designate your own
product.

> If you have other personal request or remark, I invite you to contact me in
> private.

I prefer to answer here to let other developers see what promotion
methods you are using.

Regards,
Eugene