[wdmaudiodev] Re: Problems with wrapping the Microsoft APO (was Multiple APOs in Vista?)

  • From: "Michael R. Preston" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 09:50:48 -0700

Hakon,
Thanks for the official response. I don't have a problem with IHVs having to do their own GUI for their own effects using their own property store GUIDs. What I do have a problem with is two things:

1. Not being able to reuse the Room Correction wizard without having to reuse the whole Microsoft APO property page GUI.
2. Not being able to replace the Microsoft speaker configuration GUI with the IHVs custom Bass Management/Speaker Phantoming GUI.

Is either of these possible? The other features provided by the Microsoft APO have much simpler GUIs - sometimes just a simple on/off switch. Those should be quite easy to replicate in the IHVs GUI. However, the Room Correction wizard is quite complicated, as it is a complicated feature. Forcing IHVs to either use the entirety of the Microsoft APO/GUI package or replace all the functionality with their own (including Room Correction) is really putting the IHVs in a bad position. It makes their decisions on doing their own custom effects much more complicated.

In light of all this, does this mean that Microsoft is going to relax its requirement about having IHVs replace all the built-in functionality? If the audio infrastructure in Vista has been defeatured, it makes sense for the IHV requirements to reflect this.

Mike

wdmaudiodev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
You guys are pointing at one area where your disappointment truly echoes
our own. The lack of UI extensibility is regrettably true, one of the
victims of feature cut-back. The documentation will be corrected to
reflect reality better.

While we sure had larger plans for this part of the audio infrastructure
in Vista we got only half-way there this time around. Bottom line is
that if you want your own UI for your own FXs you have to create it and
map it to your own property store.

Sincerely,

Hakon Strande
PM Integrated, Internal, External, and Wireless Audio Devices
MediaTech/DMD/Windows Client/Microsoft