[wdmaudiodev] Re: Problem about GetMapping() / ReleaseMapping() in WavePCI

  • From: "Jeff Pages" <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:29:30 +1100

Pritesh,

It probably would have helped if you'd said something about what you're trying
to achieve, since your reference to a timer object sugests you are writing a
virtual driver rather than one that actually interacts with hardware. Is that
the case, and if so why are you using WavePCI?

WavePCI works fine if you use it the way it was intended, that is with hardware
receiving the mappings, doing DMA transfers and then generating an interrupt
which releases the processed mappings. If, as I suspect you're doing, you
immediately release each mapping after you've received it, then the application
side of the system will quickly empty or fill it (depending on whether it's
render or capture) and make it available to you again through a call to
MappingAvailable. So round and round it goes, and without something like
hardware to take its time processing the mappings before releasing them, you
will get what you're observing. The timing of the WavePCI model is essentially
determined by how long the driver holds onto each mapping, not by calls to
GetPosition.

Try to think about what's going on behind the scenes. Typically the mappings
come from the page table of either the buffer in kmixer or possibly the
application's own buffer. Each time you release a mapping, it tells the
application that it's free to be reused, and as soon as the application has
done that, it gets handed back to the driver again. The only thing in that loop
to set the pacing is the time the driver holds onto the mappings for, which on
average should be the sample period multiplied by the number of samples in the
mappings.

I hope that helps.

Jeff