[wdmaudiodev] Re: Positive/negative dB range in volume control

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mike Kemp <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:12:28 +0700

Hello Mike,

> If you make a control that covers even a modest range, say 60dB, linear in
> dB you will find that you are fine adjusting in the top end of the range and
> a small movement of the mouse will jump the signal level more than anyone
> would want.

I want to implement both volume attenuation and boosting. But even if
I return the -40..+20 dB range, SndVol32 in WinXP sets the "0 dB"
position between 1st and 2nd points of 7 points total. So the upper
area is 5 times longer than the lower one. A very short slider
movement down from this neutral position causes a very noticeable volume
attenuation while a longer movement up from the zero causes much less
noticeable volume increasing. Do you think it is a convenient
behavior?

But if a range does not cross the zero (-60..0 or 0..+20), slider
movement in any area causes a proportional volume change.

I'm afraid SndVol32 incorrectly handles dB ranges that cross the zero.

> Windows has slowly understood this and provides a usable audio taper. I'd
> suggest that you use it for what it is good for, that is a user adjusting
> the volume in a user friendly way.

But how can I expose a volume control node that allows a user both to
attenuate and boost the volume and to control it by a convenient
manner?

Regards,
Eugene