[wdmaudiodev] Re: Positive/negative dB range in volume control

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <eugene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mike Kemp <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 21:03:49 +0700

Hello Mike,

> Every real volume control you have used stretches the top part of its range
> across the bulk of the physical travel. It's called the audio taper

A typical audio taper is simply a logarithmic potentiometer, right? So
Windows volume level sliders should behave like them. MS describes
them as the following:

"For a particular travel distance, the amount by which the perceived
loudness increases or decreases is approximately the same regardless
of whether the slider movement occurs in the lower, upper, or middle
portion of the slider's range of movement. Perceived loudness varies
approximately linearly with the logarithm of the audio signal power".

If I specify -6..6 dB for the range, SndVol32 sets the "0 dB" position
exactly to the middle. For -12..12 dB, it sets the "0 dB" to about 25%
and so on. The wider is the absolute range, the less is the
attenuation range, and the more is the boost range. What is a reason
for it? Or SndVol32 still uses a linear scale instead of a logarithmic
one?

> You rarely want precision control below -20dB, whereas above that
> the ear is sensitive to less than a dB of change and its where you
> want fine control

I need a precise control for the recording purpose, not for hearing
only.

Regards,
Eugene