[wdmaudiodev] Other (system) sounds while kernel streaming is operating?

  • From: User for realtime audio <audiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:06:35 +0100

Hi everyone,

I have realized an application for duplex audio processing with
kernel streaming a while ago.
This works well and on a new system with a modern soundcard I was sure that
very low latency could be achieved (even with audio feedback..).

All the time I assumed that ks would bypass the kernel mixer.
A few days ago it happened on a different PC (PC2) compared to the one I usually work with (PC1) that when I was processing audio data, I
clicked into a wrong dialog and a system
error sound was played back. I was wondering about that because I
assumed that this would only be possible
due to the kernel mixer in directSound.
That other PC (PC2) also does never reach the latencies that the PC I usually use can achieve.

- PC1: IBM Thinkpad, R51, AC97 soundmax, stable buffersize with kernel streaming: 60 samples @ 48 kHz, double buffering

- PC2: Desktop PC; Creative Sound Audigy, stable buffersize with kernel
  streaming: no less than 240 samples  @ 48 kHz, double buffering

Has anyone made this experience, should not the error sound be muted
while kernel streaming is operating?
Is it possible that kernel streaming sometimes does not BYPASS the
kernel mixer and that the behavior depends on the audio hardware/driver?

Best Regards,
Hauke