[wdmaudiodev] New information about multi-port USB MIDI devices

  • From: Timothy Knudtson <tknudtson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 14:00:29 -0700

I have done some further research on the multi-port USB MIDI problem that I
have been encountering with the default USBAudio.sys driver. The driver will
accept the first few MIDI events (SYSEX Messages, notes, etc…) then will stop
working for a few more messages, then will start working again for all messages
after that.

I was able to reproduce the issue using a third party MIDI device that has
multiple MIDI ports for a single USB device. The third party MIDI controller
created their own USBAudio.sys driver to compensate for this short coming in
the default driver.

My question is what steps should I take to create my own USBAudio.sys driver?
Is there a sample driver that is recommend I start with?

Timothy Knudtson
iConnectivity