[wdmaudiodev] Re: Need USB Audio device to not be the default speaker at plug-in

  • From: Hakon Strande <hakons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:40:11 -0700

If apps leverage the new Windows 7 Default Communication Device (a new default
device role especially for communication scenarios) and you'll expose your
device appropriately (for instance as a "Handset" USB terminal type) to allow
Windows 7 audio device role assignment heuristics to set your device as the
default communication device then the user don't have to do anything at all in
the Handset scenario.

Automatic stream re-direction on default device changes (for key audio APIs)
and sound level ducking during calls are additional Windows 7 features tied to
the (now two) Windows audio default device roles.

You guys should install Windows 7 RC and look into it... :)

Sincerely,

Hakon Strande<mailto:HakonS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> | Software PM | Microsoft Hardware |
(p) 425.705.0637