[wdmaudiodev] Re: Need USB Audio device to not be the default speaker at plug-in

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:42:01 -0700

Perry, Chris wrote:

> Suppose I am developing a USB based toy gun that comes bundled with a
> game. When the user plugs in
>
> the USB gun, the ultimate user experience would be for the game
> application to launch and only render
>
> gun sounds sent from the game application. Ideally I don’t want the
> USB device to show up as a device
>
> that a user can select for as a generic speaker using the control
> panel applet.

Why not?  I mean, what's the worst case scenario?  Some 14-year-old
would think it was cool to have music playing out of his gun, and then
he unplugs it and goes back to his normal audio device.

I just don't see why this is a situation that is worth worrying about.
You wouldn't MAKE yourself the preferred device, but if some user wants
to do so, he gets what he deserves.

Right?