[wdmaudiodev] Need USB Audio device to not be the default speaker at plug-in

  • From: "Perry, Chris" <Chris_Perry@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 11:00:18 -0400

I have read all the posts concerning the need to programmatically change the
default audio device
as well as the various responses. However I did not see a definitive answer for
my need which is to
develop the USB firmware for a composite device which among other features will
render sound
but should never be the default speaker device on a PC.

The answer hinted at was to make the firmware advertise itself as something
other than a speaker.
One post suggested being a "Headset" device while another mentions being an
"XBOX headset".

Here is the problem I am trying to solve.

Suppose I am developing a USB based toy gun that comes bundled with a game.
When the user plugs in
the USB gun, the ultimate user experience would be for the game application to
launch and only render
gun sounds sent from the game application. Ideally I don't want the USB device
to show up as a device
that a user can select for as a generic speaker using the control panel applet.
However, I do want the game application
to be able to discover the device as available for rendering audio using the
typical DirectX or other APIs.

What is the official way to achieve this functionality?

-Chris Perry