[wdmaudiodev] Re: Naming audio devices dynamically in Vista

  • From: "Don Bell" <0dbell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 07:14:31 -0500

On 4/16/07, uwe kirst <u.kirst@xxxxxx> wrote:

>>(Also, I read somewhere these categories might be cached and the
>>changes won't work until reboot)

my experience is that the GUID is only used once at install time.
Afterwards the name is stored somewhere else in the registry. That would
mean, rebooting would not help. Can anyone confirm?

I am not in position to be authoritative on anything, but if I
understand your question correctly and if Vista handling of KS
categories is not totally different than XP's, then yes - those GUIDs
should only be registered once at installation.

Look at the MSVAD sample's MSVAD.INF in the [.Interfaces] section:

[MSVAD_Simple.Interfaces]
AddInterface=%KSCATEGORY_AUDIO%,%KSNAME_Wave%,MSVAD.I.Wave
AddInterface=%KSCATEGORY_RENDER%,%KSNAME_Wave%,MSVAD.I.Wave
AddInterface=%KSCATEGORY_CAPTURE%,%KSNAME_Wave%,MSVAD.I.Wave
AddInterface=%KSCATEGORY_AUDIO%,%KSNAME_Topology%,MSVAD.I.Topo

The identifers that start with KSCATEGORY_ are string constants that
contain GUIDs which can be easily found in the registry under:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses

IMHO, the term "stored" is more appropriate than "cached" in this case.

HTH (and if not, please correct),
Don