[wdmaudiodev] Re: My first WASAPI implementation.

  • From: Marc Lindahl <marc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 16:06:16 -0500

That's exactly why, it was done before that format was around.
Also made it easy on apps to support multiple possible heterogeneous sound cards, they simply opened all available stereo pairs regardless.

On Mar 22, 2006, at 3:52 PM, wdmaudiodev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I never really did understand why vendors would publish a bunch of
stereo pairs rather than one device that had many channels. Was this to
support
legacy OS's that didn't have WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE?

If I have one 8-channel stream I want to output, the last thing I want
do is open 4 virtual stereo devices and issues the play command to each
one.

Chris Perry
Bose Corporation