[wdmaudiodev] Re: Multiple Independent channels of Audio

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:10:31 -0700

On Oct 19, 2014, at 4:58 AM, Devang Goradia
<devang.goradia@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:devang.goradia@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
I would like to configure a 5.1 sound card to play 6 different channels (mono)
of audio for Windows 7 and above operating systems.

That depends on what you mean, but the answer is basically “no”.  In Windows, a
single sample includes all of the channels for that sample.  That is, you can’t
have channel 3 coming from a different process or even a different handle than
channel 1.

So, you could certainly pump six different signals on the six input lines, but
they will all arrive in one handle in one process.  They are not independent.

Similarly - for a 7.1 channel card, we would like it to play 8 different
channels of Audio if the processor is in a position to decode the 8 streams of
audio.

“Decode” in what way?  Where will the audio be coming from?
--
Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:timr@xxxxxxxxx>