[wdmaudiodev] Re: Multichannel data ranges under Vista

  • From: Simon <angelofpromise@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 20:59:50 +0200

My bad, the DDK statement applies only to KSDATAFORMAT_SPECIFIER_DSOUND.

But here's something else:

http://search.msdn.microsoft.com/search/Redirect.aspx?title=Installing+Device+Interfaces+for+an+Audio+Adapter&url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/audio_d/hh/Audio_d/pcdesign_f8c6d63f-9920-46c9-b960-04a6b18f96df.xml.asp

Example: Installing Audio Device Interfaces is wrong. It shows that a topology miniport should only be registered under KSCATEGORY_TOPOLOGY. While this will work under XP, It'll cause all sorts of weirdness under Vista. It's also inconsistent with what the DDK samples do.

Simon

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 23:22:49 +0200, Mitchell Rundle <mitchr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The Vista audio system assumes that the MinimumBitsPerSample and MaximumBitsPerSample fields of KSDATARANGE_AUDIO correlate with the wBitsPerSample of a WAVEFORMATEX or the wValidBitsPerSample of a WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE. In other words it assumes that the bitdepth fields refer the the valid bits, not the container size.

<< The DDK docs state that the range should include the container size, not only the valid bits... >>

Could you send me the URL of the page you are referencing, please?

Thanks.