[wdmaudiodev] Re: Multichannel ?

  • From: Robert Bielik <robert.bielik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 20:22:58 +0100

Argh! This is drivin' me nuts! Ok, now I got multichannel to work by impl data
range intersection handler, and proposed format handler so they
accept the full range I can handle.

But... hehe... now I'm faced with an even worse problem. Consider my scenario:
My VAD is supposed to sink default audio and I then
have a UM application that filters audio and transports to a target device, so
if I open the streaming application with 44k1, 6ch, 16bits I
can open a 6 ch stream, and also a stereo stream because it will be routed to
front L/R per default.

And now the fun begins. Say I want to change the target device and select a
device which supports only 48k, 2ch, 16bits and start streaming data
to it from my VAD.

If I now try to open a stereo stream it will fail because Windows "remembers"
that it has opened my VAD previously with 44k1, 6ch, 16bits and
it will now try to open it again with that format, and with my architecture I
need to confine samplerate/bits to that of the target sound device.

Since my VAD now says "Uh uh!", why doesn't Windows query my proposed format
handler, or DRIH ?? The new format (48k, 2ch, 16bits) is within the
accepted range, so if the driver says no to 44k1, 6ch, 16bits why aren't other
formats queried ??

TIA
/Rob