[wdmaudiodev] Re: Mixer compatibility under Vista

  • From: Andrew Elder <aelder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:25:04 -0400

[RESEND] - below.

Stilll waiting for a comment from someone at MS.
If mixer one interface is "removed" (ie legacy mixerXXX()) under Vista, documentation on how to use the new one should be available somewhere. Is there a white paper on how to correctly represent a NxM hardware mixer in WDM under Vista ?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Elder wrote:

Can anyone on the Microsoft side propose the "approved" solution under Vista for implementing hardware mixing of multiple render pins to multiple line outs ?
A typical cards looks like that this:
<http://www.audioscience.com/internet/products/sound_cards/asi6644.htm>
Our plays and records support MPEG-1 audio Layers II and III.
Any Line In can also be mixed to any Line Out.

This must be a common problem, no ?

- Andrew

Jeff Pages wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Our cards don't do any output cross-mixing, so we were able to provide all the functionality needed through the WDM mixer API. On XP and earlier we provided input cross mixing, but Vista's "endpoint" architecture precludes that so under Vista we're just presenting one capture device (endpoint) per physical input. I'm not sure if the loss of an input mixer will impact any of our clients though, but I think the major concern was being able to pass the inputs through to the outputs under program control and that can still be done either in compatibility mode or using the new DeviceTopology API.

Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Elder" <aelder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>