[wdmaudiodev] Mixer compatibility under Vista

  • From: Andrew Elder <aelder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:46:26 -0400

[RESEND - no response]

All,

We have wave driver that doesn't show any mixer devices under Vista RC-1, even when we do the following "compatibility" step:

"{Starting with RC1 (build 6500) you can activate the mixer shim by
checking the "Run this program in compatibility mode for: XP (Service
Pack 2)"."

This driver does not present a WDM audio interface. Instead, a DLL is loaded by entries in Drivers32 (wave and mixer) and this communicates via a custom interface to a kernel driver.

Our test application in this case is a simple console application that calls mixerGetNumDevs() and mixerGetDevCaps(). Thats all. We have added a call to GetVersionEx() to verify that the "shim" is running.

This raises some questions:
1) is compatibility mode supposed to work with DLLs, or does it expect a WDM audio interface ?
2) anyone else had issues similar to this one ?
3) any suggestions about what to test next ?

Thanks,
Andrew