[wdmaudiodev] Mixer compatibility under Vista

  • From: Andrew Elder <aelder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 13:57:25 -0400

All,

We have wave driver that doesn't show any mixer devices under Vista RC-1, even when we do
the following "compatibility" step:

"{Starting with RC1 (build 6500) you can activate the mixer shim by
checking the "Run this program in compatibility mode for: XP (Service
Pack 2)"."

This driver does not present a WDM audio interface. Instead, a DLL is loaded by
entries in Drivers32 (wave and mixer) and this communicates via a custom
interface to a kernel driver.

Our test application in this case is a simple console application that calls
mixerGetNumDevs() and mixerGetDevCaps(). Thats all. We have added a call to
GetVersionEx() to verify that the "shim" is running.

This raises some questions:
1) is compatibility mode supposed to work with DLLs, or does it expect a WDM
audio interface ?
2) anyone else had issues similar to this one ?
3) any suggestions about what to test next ?

Thanks,
Andrew