[wdmaudiodev] Re: Mixer API support on Vista?

  • From: "Frank Yerrace" <Frank.Yerrace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:56:18 -0700

The mixer API is now virtualized per-application. This change was part
of Vista's "per application volume" feature. While this does have a
negative affect on some set of applications- indeed probably many of the
utility applications that members of this mailing list create- we feel
this helps a majority of every-day applications work well with the
per-app-volume feature.

Applications that truly have a need to access the system-wide volume
controls rather than the application's volume have two options for
Vista. These options can be pursued in parallel. 1) Contact Richard
Fricks at Microsoft (richfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) and start a dialog with him
to consider adding your application to a list of applications that Vista
will automatically run with the mixer API in XP-compatibility mode. 2)
Prepare a Vista-ready version of your application that uses a new set of
APIs for reading/writing the system-side volume controls.

Frank Yerrace

Microsoft Corporation

rights.