[wdmaudiodev] Midi Devices and Drivers32 Key

  • From: "ALN" <abischof@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 07:38:56 -0500

I have 3 questions about how midi devices (legacy and WDM) are related to the
registry Key 'HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Drivers32':

I've noticed that midi devices seem to have problems on win2K and winXP when
the 'midi' index gets past '9':
   midi = MidiDevice0
   midi1 = MidiDevice1
   midi2 = MidiDevice2
      :
      :
   midi9 = MidiDevice9
   midi10 = MidiDevice10 // windows does not seem to recognize this device
First Question: Is there a cure for this?  Maybe a different index than '10'.

Also, there is often a number of 'redundant' items. For example, in winXP if
there are multiple wdmaud.drv MidiDevices, can they all be combined to a single
midi index?
Can
   midi2 = wdmaud.drv
   midi3 = wdmaud.drv
   midi7 = wdmaud.drv
be replaced by
   midi2 = wdmaud.drv

In win2K are empty indexes useful or can they be removed without causing
problems?
Can
   midi2 = MidiDevice2
   midi3 =