[wdmaudiodev] Re: MediaPlayer improves USB DPC timing

  • From: "bart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Martin Puryear <martinp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 11:11:09 +0200

Hi Martin,

> As far as I know there is NOTHING in Windows Media Player that uses anything
> other than
> fully documented OS services.  This should not be at all surprising since WMP
> is legally
> considered middleware by U.S. District Court.  There's no leeway here.

I assume it is my lack of knowledge being unable to explain what I measured,
therefore I
thought I should ask the list.

> It's actually a little funny to hear you suggest a cozy relationship between
> the WMP team
> and the kernel audio team.  It isn't like that.

I didn't want to suggest this, sorry if you got this impression. My attempt was
to state
the facts I saw and try to understand what's happening.

> Back to the topic.  I suspect, if anything, WMP uses the venerable Time APIs
> to turn up
> the timer resolution; I don't know for sure.

Could you point me to a link where it is described how I can turn up the timer
resolution?

> Maybe it isn't WMP at all, though - have you tried RealPlayer or MusicMatch,
> or even
> MPlay32?

Not these two, but I also tried Cubse SX and the issues are the same. I assume
that if there
where settings like that a high quality 'reference' program written by very
experienced
programmers like Cubase SX would have these right. I'll try other programms.
Do you know where I can find information on how to optimize XP's kernel timing?

> There is code in the WDM audio stack that tries to make the system work
> better for all
> multimedia apps.  It's probably that, as opposed to anything from a user-mode
> client
> like WMP.

Can you point me to a link with more information on this?

Best regards,
                Bart