[wdmaudiodev] Re: MSVAD simple example plays wav file continuously under debugger

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:10:14 -0800

Jan M wrote:

> Anyone had this problem with theWDK 7600.16385.0 MSVAD example driver?
>
> Playing any wav file (ringin.wav in this test) either by calling
> PlaySound() or using the Control Panel Sounds Applet results in the file
> being repeated continuously, effectively hanging the driver.
>
> Only happens if XP booted with debug and WinDbg actually connected. No
> problem if XP booted with debug and WinDbg NOT connected.
> Could it be a timout problem? I suspect the repeats come from nt

Is MSVAD the output device in this case?  If so, how do you know it's
repeating?  Are you spewing any debug information to the debugger?

If you send a sound to the normal audio output device and then break in
the debugger, you will hear the last bufferful repeated forever.  This
is just the way sound cards work.  They have to be told to stop playing,
and while you're in the debugger, it can't process interrupts to know
that playing should stop.  It's quite normal.  As soon as you step or
run in the  debugger, it will start handling interrupts again and move
on to the next sample.

> (cannot step this as XP is free build).

That's not true at all.  You can step and breakpoint all you want, in
either the checked or free build.

> Is there any way to stop nt (or whatever) repeating the file.

There's just not enough information here.  Can you describe the scenario
in a little more detail?