[wdmaudiodev] Re: MSVAD multistr multiple streams supported or NOT !!!!

  • From: Vipin Kumar <vipin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:28:19 -0800

Hi,
    Can you point me to the conditions when multiple streams can be created.
i have tried audacity and few other sophisticated application, but no one
has been able to trigger multiple streams.

how can we disable mixing in the kernel mixer, this would certainl force it
t create multiple streams

is the same true for capture streams also.

Thanks for your help,
Vipin

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Vipin Kumar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >     Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > if only single stream is supported then what's the difference between
> > MSVAD simple and MSVAD multstr ?????
>
> I didn't say "only single stream is supported".  I said that the
> operating system will route all unsophisticated application streams to
> the kernel mixer, and then route that single mixed output stream to your
> driver.  A sophisticated application certainly could instantiate your
> device and route multiple streams directly into it, bypassing the kernel
> mixers.  The vast majority of applications don't do that, and as a
> result the "multiple stream" support isn't widely useful.
>

> > and why this comment exists ( code to process multiple streams is
> > below the comment) in minwave.cpp in multstr directory
> >
> > minwave.cpp in multstr  LINE no. 322
> >
> >  // This version supports multiple playback streams.
> >  //
> >
> > can you please throw some light in here ( if we don't support multiple
> > streams then why the code is written to support multiple streams ?? )
>
> You can certainly support multiple streams, but they can only be used by
> applications that expect to talk to devices with multiple streams.
> Again, the vast majority of applications just route their output to the
> default sound device, which feeds to the kernel mixer, and from there
> into a single stream in your device.
>

> > Actually i am writing a terminal services auduo output/input stuff.
> > so all the users will select one audio device, and it will handle all
> > the streams ( one stream for one user or session) and so on.
>
> What do you expect to do with this data?  Do you understand that
> Terminal Services already supports routing audio to and from the client?
>
> --
> Tim Roberts, timr@xxxxxxxxx
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

> URL to WDMAUDIODEV page: