[wdmaudiodev] MIDI UART

  • From: <zizka@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:51:17 +0100

Hi everyone,

for one my application I need to use the UART functionality of MIDI port. I
need to send a my own protocol over it - I will not be using the MIDI protocol.
I haven't found any API that would give me access to the UART from the MIDI
port (I found only some MIDI functions that are using MIDI protocol), so I
tried to create a simple driver that would write to 330 and read from 330 the
received data. The problem is, that there is a underlying original driver from
MIDI port that 'steals' the data from the MIDI port (because it uses interrupt,
so it gets to the data faster than I can do). So I uninstalled the MIDI driver,
but after that I get only FFs from the port and anything I sent to the 330 port
did not get out the PC.

I'm a beginner in device driver development, so I do not fully understand
everyhting. I've done a few drivers for our own PCI devices, but when I have
studied audio drivers I get lost in that ports and miniports etc. As I have
understood, there is only one Audio driver that instantiates all necessary
sub-drivers (for gameport, midiport etc.). So if I want to create a driver for
MIDI port I need to create the whole driver for audio?

I really need only simple driver that sends characterss and receives characters
from UART of MIDI port. It does not have to implement any interface, only read
and write. A few lines of code, I only don't know how to make it work.

Please, do you have any example, or clue how to do it?