[wdmaudiodev] MIDI MME drivers

  • From: Dave Gamble <signalzerodb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:40:17 +0000

Hi,

I stumbled onto something fun today, and I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this (or if i'm doing something stupid)...

As you may know, under XP, in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\ one can find
the list of installed MIDI drivers, under keys MIDI,MIDI1,...MIDI9.

However, the list seems to stop there, with 10 devices. I've seen a machine with lots of MIDI devices installed
fail to install a new device because slots 0->9 were already filled.

In addition, installing a USB device with an MME driver fills a new slot for every USB port it's installed on...

Other than writing a DirectMusic driver, is there a way around this? The failure arises at the .inf installation stage,
long before any software has been run...

Is this a known issue, and can anyone tell me anything about this?

Thanks in advance!

Dave.