[wdmaudiodev] Re: KS Studio query

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 10:13:51 -0800

gordon keith wrote:

In Portaudio I can list and play to laptop speaker as a ks device, but
in ksstudio I can't see it or play to it as a ks device.

Does anyone know why this would be and what I would need to do to
render to the laptop speaker as a ks device.

I realise I could answer by reverse engineering portaudio, but
wondered if anyone could help before I do that.

There's a potential for confusion here, so I want to make sure we're all
on the same page.

When you say "laptop speaker", are you referring to the speaker
connected to the audio hardware on your motherboard? That is, the one
that gets exposed as Realtek Audio or Intel HD Audio or whatever? If
so, then that certainly should be exposed in ksstudio. You can try
graphedt and see if you can attach to it there.

Or is it possible you mean the primitive two-wire speaker that is used
for boot-time error codes? If that's what you mean, that is not a KS
device, and never will be. If Portaudio supports that speaker, then it
must have its own codec and its own buffer management. There is no
kernel driver to do that.