[wdmaudiodev] Re: Is it a good design to include KMDF APIs in WDM based Miniport Audio drivers !

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:06:10 -0800

maraboina suneeth wrote:

> I work on audio miniport drivers which need to talk to a KMDF based
> driver. When I tried to use WDM based APIs to send IOCTL it never
> seems to be working. But when I tried to use KMDF APIs then everything
> was working fine but I'm not sure if its a good design to use KMDF
> APIsinside a WDM based drivers. I would appreciate if someone could
> answer what are the drawbacks/repercussions of this approach.

Your question doesn't make sense.  First, all of the KMDF APIs
eventually call WDM APIs.  KMDF only works within your driver: all
inter-driver communication is done through WDM.  Second, you can't use
ANY KMDF APIs inside a WDM driver.

Why don't you show us some of your WDM code, and we'll take a look?
This kind of problem is often caused by calling IoCallDriver with the
wrong device object.  In a miniport, it can sometimes be tricky to
figure out which device object to use.