[wdmaudiodev] Is a WDM kernel streaming driver right for our application?

  • From: "Sauerwein, Tim" <tims@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:05:41 -0700

Hello Friends,

My company is considering a project that uses an MS Windows PC for
real-time signal processing of an audio stream.  The input arrives over USB,
and the output also leaves over USB.  We can tolerate some latency, but we
must keep a steady output rate and never miss a sample.

We think of using a real-time extension to Windows, and building a
real-time system that is designed to meet its deadlines always.  But we
also wonder if a WDM kernel streaming driver might work just as well.

So I am delighted to have come across the community of experts in
WDMAUDIODEV, and I seek your advice.  In particular:

(1) What things can cause Windows to switch away from a kernel
streaming driver for long enough to make it miss a sample?  How likely
are such things to occur in practice?

(2) What is the practical limit to how much of the CPU the streaming
driver can consume, and still have confidence that the driver will not
miss samples?

(3) How much will our customers have to tune their PCs to make our
solution work right?  (We think of establishing minimum requirements for
the PC.)

(4) We are competent real-time programmers, but new to streaming
drivers.  Will there be lots of subtle issues that we might not expect?

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Tim

//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=wdmaudiodev