[wdmaudiodev] Re: Intel SST + I2S

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 11:35:28 -0700

Preston Fick wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. This processing is based on algorithms to
> improve audio quality on less than optimal speakers - think tablet or
> smart-phone speakers for example.

How will you know whether you are in such an environment?  What if they
plug in nice quality headphones?

> I'm familiar with UAA and have just completed an APO that fits in to
> that model and works well. I'm expanding the algorithms to other
> devices I've run into this newer driver stack where an Intel Atom
> processor. The audio driver stack is based on the Intel SST and
> RealTek codec via I2S. It appears that the Intel SST driver looks like
> the older WDM audio architecture (associated filters are wdmaud,
> swmidi, redbook) which is why my first inclination is to look into the
> WDM GFX sample to post-process this audio for the speakers before it's
> sent to the codec.

The new audio engine still allows the use of AVStream and Port Class
drivers, but they feed into the audio engine.  I suspect the machinery
that automatically loaded XP-style kernel GFX filters is gone.