[wdmaudiodev] Re: Installing sample APO driver

  • From: Roger <roger_butler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:20:28 +1000 (EST)

Hi guys,

OK, I'm still having trouble getting the Swap APO sample installed. Here's what
I've done:

1. Built the APO from audio\sysfx\apo using build -cZ.
2. Built the property page from audio\sysfx\PropPageExtensions using build -cZ.
3. Copied SwapAPO.dll and PropPageExt.dll from the respective
objfre_wlh_x86\i386 directories to audio\sysfx\inf.
4. Modified the three lines in sysfx.inf, replacing VEN_434D&DEV_4980 with the
settings I found for my card, VEN_8384&DEV_7690. I also tried adding some
SUBSYS and REV parts at one stage too.
5. Created HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio,
since this key didn't exist before. Added DisableProtectedAudioDG as a DWORD
field and set it to 1.
6. Updated the driver on my existing HD Audio output device to this sysfx.inf.

The result is that the driver now calls itself a CMedia 9880 HD Codec with Swap
System Effect, but I don't see any extra tab controls. I also don't see the
GUID {4d36e96c...} in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceClasses. And
am able to delete SwapAPO.dll and PropPageExt.dll from \Windows\System32, which
indicates that they aren't being used. Rebooting doesn't help either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Roger.

--- Lino!! <linoshok@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, how about USB audio devices?
>
> Does anybody know how can I modify Swap sample inf file in case of USB
> audio?
> I think that I need to change hdaudio.* to something else.
>
> Can someone advise me what I have to change in Swap sample inf file in case
> of USB audio device?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> 2006/9/13, lshoell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <lshoell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >

> > Roger,
> >
> > The Swap sample simply swaps the left and right channels in the LFX. It
> > the GFX it swaps the left and right channels and attenuates the volume.
> > You'll find this code is Swap.cpp.
> >
> > The property page appears as a tab on the speaker properties. Go the Sound
> > Control Panel, click on the Playback tab and double-click on the Speakers
> > endpoint. If everything is installed properly, you should see your System
> > Effects tab.
> >
> > Even if you see the property page, chances are your Swap APO is not
> > loaded. This is because Vista will not load an "unsigned" APO. You can
> > overcome this restriction by adding the following key to the registry:
> >

> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Audio]
> > "DisableProtectedAudioDG"=dword:00000001
> >
> > This is documented in the "Custom Audio Effects in Windows Vista"
> > document. If you do not have this document, you can download it at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/audio
> >
> > As for the name of the device "CMedia with Swap APO", this is what ever
> > you define it to be in the INF file. (This INF file is actually installing
> > the audio driver with the APO. It is not just attaching the APO to the
> > existing driver.)
> >
> > Leonard

Listen to your personal radio station on Yahoo!7 Music
http://au.music.yahoo.com/launchcast/setup.asp