[wdmaudiodev] Implementing Jack Sensing for Windows XP

  • From: Ninjaturtle Leonardo <ninjaturtleleonardo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 01:52:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,
I have been trying to implement the Vista's Jack Sensing API (GetState) for
Windows XP. I read about the HD Audio's DDI and realized I could just send an
IRP to the HD Audio Bus Driver to do the work for me. However, I can't seem to
be able to get the device object in order to send the IRP to it.

I want to add the jack sensing ability to the current audio driver, not
implement a whole adapter driver of my own.

I have been looking around the web for a solution, and I am not sure what I
should do:
1) Write a filter driver that attaches the audio stack so I can pass the IRP
down the stack. The problem is that I need to filter other irrelevant requests,
which is something I am not willing to do. Further than that, I will have to
get
some device from the stack to attach to it.
2) Write a virtual audio driver. I came accross this option while Googling, but
I am surely not convinced it's a good one. As I've already mentioned, I am not
trying to replace the existent driver, neither do I want to intercept requests
to the driver or handle anything I don't need to. However, if I do register as
virtual audio driver, meaning my driver will function as an adapter driver, I
will have the option to send the IRP down the stack.
3) Somehow get the device object for the HD Audio Bus Driver's device, so I can
send it the wanted IRP. This is obviously the better option, but I don't know
how to accomplish it.

Thanks very much in advance,
Moshe.