[wdmaudiodev] Re: Identifying if an endpoint is virtual or physical

  • From: Eugene Muzychenko <emuzychenko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kannan Ramanathan <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:06:59 +0700

Hello Kannan,

> One of the requirements for my module is to enumerate through the
> available/active endpoints in the system and determine which of them are
> *physical* endpoints (not something exposed by a VAD or something).

You need first determine a system device that exposes these endpoints
and then look for device properties. Hardware devices have some
hardware resources (memory, ports, IRQ/DMA lines), software devices
have not.

If you have a simple way to get a device interface, you can reduce
analyzing to check a bus identifier (PCI/USB/ACPI/1394 etc.) Software
devices are usually root-enumerated (the ROOT pseudo-bus) but there can be
other pseudo-buses.

Regards,
Eugene