[wdmaudiodev] IGraphBuilder->RenderFile using wrong audio device

  • From: Brüßler, Wolfgang <wolfgang.bruessler@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 15:33:40 +0200

Hi,

Our software is using IGraphBuilder->RenderFile for playback of sound files.
Since some weeks we get complaints that the playback occasionally does not
work. Today I observed the following problem in the lab:

The sound was played by the wrong sound device. The trace shows that the
correct audio renderer "DirectSound: xxxx" was added to the filter graph, but
the sound was played by "DirectSound: yyyy" instead. Since the code is based on
the old graphedit sample, I tried graphedit on the machine. Graphedit showed
the same problem: I added the audio renderer "DirectSound: xxxx", let graphedit
render a wave file and clicked play: the sound was played by device
"DirectSound: yyyy" .
The code enumerates all CLSID_AudioRendererCategory devices and selects the
device with the matching "FriendlyName". The device is added to the dx filter
graph IGraphBuilder->AddFilter and then the sound file is rendered by calling
IGraphBuilder->RenderFile.

It appears that the system (Windows XP SP2 with all patches) mixed up the
direct sound audio renderers.

Now the interesting point: Afterwards I checked if the problem showed up in the
Windows Media Player as well. During this I changed the media player sound
device configuration from one device to the other and back. Afterwards the
situation was healed: Both graphedit and my application used the correct sound
device.

Because the problem seems to be new, I checked the installed updates and found
two replaced dx files: "Dxtrans.dll" and "Dxtmsft.dll" have been replaced by
the IE updates from April 2008 and February 2008 (MS06-067 and MS08-024).

Did anyone else observe something like this?

Best regards
Wolfgang Bruessler