[wdmaudiodev] Re: How to sign up with MS with the Win10 driver no charge "attestment" option

  • From: "Paul Titchener" <pt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 17:26:08 -0700

Tim, thanks for your help.

Yes, we have an EV2 cert, we’ve used it up to now for signing our pre Win10
driver files. However our current cert was only issued in Sept. so I don’t we
can use it for Win 10 installations without the additional MS certification.

Just to make sure I fully understand your directions below, when we make the
.cab file should we use our signed .cat, .sys and .inf files and then sign the
resulting .cab file?

Or do we use unsigned .cat, .sys and .inf files and only sign the .cab file?

Thanks,

Paul Titchener

Paul Titchener wrote:

We need to distribute a Win 10 audio driver we include with our product.

I’m trying to figure out how to get the “no charge” attestment option setup
with MS for this audio driver.

What I’ve done so far is signed up with MS, signed the winqual.exe and sent
it back to them.

They accepted the .exe and I then signed and they co-signed the “Driver
Quality Attestment Testing Agreement”.

OK, just to make sure, you have already acquired an EV SHA2 Code-Signing
certificate? The one that comes on a USB token? That's what you used to
signed the winqual.exe and to open your sysdev dashboard account?

I hoping one of you guys have gone through the next steps, what do I need to
do now to submit our driver using the no charge attestment option?

The instructions on the web are pretty clear. Have you ever submitted for
WHQL? The procedure is similar. You need to create a cabinet (.CAB) file that
contains your driver package, including your INF, your SYS, and your CAT. Put
your files in a subdirectory called "DriverPackage1". Sign that CAB using the
same EV2 certificate you used to create the dashboard account.

When you log in to your dashboard account, you'll see the box labeled "File
signing services" with the option "Create driver signing submission." That's
where you submit your package. Then you sit back and wait. Several hours
later, you'll be notified that your signed package is ready for download. What
you get back is a ZIP file with a new CAT file, signed only for Win 10. Your
driver binaries will also have Microsoft's certificate appended.