[wdmaudiodev] Re: How to sign up with MS with the Win10 driver no charge "attestment" option

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 11:10:29 -0700

Paul Titchener wrote:

However I still can't figure out what's going on wrong on some of our driver
installations that fail.

We actually had it happen on one of our test machines, it’s a Win7x64
machine.

Is this something that worked before? If you're still using the same
build procedure, what changed?

What part of devcon are you using? Are you using the "dp_add" path?
Remember that the CAT file includes checksums for every file in the INF,
at the point you created the CAT. If you change the SYS file in any
way, the checksum will be invalidated and it is as if the CAT did not
exist. Also remember that the system looks in the driver store to find
your CAT file. If you haven't used "dp_add" to add yourself to the
driver store, it won't be able to find the CAT.

On this machine at some point installation of the driver failed.

I can see that we were attempting to install the correct driver, the .sys
and .cat files in our program that we attempted to install are signed with
our SHA1 cert and not the MS cert.

Also when I look at the .sys file that got installed at
c:\windows\system32\drivers, doing a properties on it shows that it is
signed with our SHA1 cert so that looks fine.

But in the Device Manager the driver has an exclamation mark on it and
clicking on it brings up the code 52 error message that the driver is not
digitally signed.

Can you show us \Windows\Inf\Setup.dev.log?

If you go into Details and click on the .sys file name shown in that same
c:\windows\system32\drivers location it also states there that the driver is
not digitally signed.

Well, you have to take the Device Manager indication with a grain of
salt. On the "Driver" page, the "Digital Signer:" line will show your
certificate, if present. But the "Driver Details" button will only show
"digitally signed" if your package is signed by WHQL. It does not honor
any other certificates.