[wdmaudiodev] How to implement per-application volume control like Vista?

  • From: "kylin linux" <kylinux@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:08:35 +0000

Hi,
I am trying to use MSVAD(simple) as start point to implement per-application volume control, my expection is when audio application adjust volume, volume hander of MSVAD can get called, KSPROPERTY_TYPE_SET notify the volume level to the user mode application for control. But I found when I adjust MIDI volume it happened, for Speaker and Wave, I can only see the KSPROPERTY_TYPE_GET. By using this way, I suspect if the upper drivers in driver chains, eg. sysaudio,kmix or portcls filter/scatter the SET request so that MSVAD can not see that. Another way I am thinking with is to write kernel mode driver to access pre-mix data in kmix and use hook to monitor the audio APIs called in individual audio applications, such as PlaySound, waveOut and DirectSound and so on... I noticed that there are a shareware IndieVolume in the market has done the job but I am not sure if they use such technique... Could anyone give me some clues on how to implement such feature? If I am on the wrong way to the success ? Thanks a lot! Christoper 2007-03-17