[wdmaudiodev] How to dynamically introduce an endpoint in the system?

  • From: Kannan Ramanathan <kannan.ramanathan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 22:25:15 +0530

Hi,

I have a requirement where I need to dynamically introduce an endpoint in to
the system. This newly introduced endpoint should become the default
endpoint and we want the apps to continue rendering the content.

For dynamically introducing (& removing) the endpoint we thought of doing a
Jack-in / Out. Since this has to be done in a VAD, will simulating a Jack-in
cause the new endpoint to become default automatically? If not, how do I
select my endpoint to be the default endpoint (I dont need to make it
"communication" default, just for "multimedia").   Another idea I heard was
doing a full fledged virtual bus driver, which can trigger dynamic device
injection, keeping the rank of this device equal to HDMI. Is this a better
way (though I think there must be simpler solution out there)?

Also, for keeping the currently rendering apps rendering to this new
endpoint, do we have to assume the exact audio endpoint properties from the
previously active one (like bits per sample / sampling rate ...)?

Thanks
 --- Kannan Ramanathan