[wdmaudiodev] How does a filter become part of standard graphs

  • From: Walter Oney <waltoney@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudio <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 06:18:03 -0400

How do I package a data transform filter so that it becomes part of the
graphs that get built for people doing audio recording types of
application?

Here's a bit of background. I have a data transform algorithm that I
want to interpose into the realtime capture stream from whatever sound
card happens to be installed. I initially built this as a DirectShow
filter, and I'm able to test this quite easily using GraphEdt. Now it's
time to package it for the real world, where people just hit the record
button in applications like CoolEdit. I can't figure out how to get this
filter installed into the graph that gets used for the realtime data
stream.

Should I even be using a DirectShow filter in the first place? Should
this instead be an AVStream filter? Or should it be a regular WDM filter
driver that sits in some device driver stack modifying some IRPs? If so,
*which* device driver stack is the right one?