[wdmaudiodev] Hotkey implementation for APOs?

  • To: <wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 16:40:57 -0800

Hi everyone,

We have an OEM that is going to be bundling one of our APOs on their
system. They already have a keyboard designed with a hotkey that can
toggle a property in our APO. (The key toggles through four states for
the APO.)

The question is: How do we inform any running APOs when the hotkey is
pressed? Their hotkey signals their own application, which is supposed
to inform any APOs that the property has changed. However, they cannot
use the property store, since applications do not have write access to
it.

We thought of writing to a registry key in HKLM, but the app does not
have write access to that either. (HKCU is out, since the hotkey app and
the APO are running under different accounts.)

We are also considering using shared memory and a named event to set the
value and trigger the event, but that seems problematic when multiple
APOs are running. (Or we'd have to maintain a list of events in shared
memory that need to be signaled when the hotkey was pressed.)

Overall, it seems like a lot of effort for what you would think should
be a simple solution. Any advice?

Thanks,
Jeff