[wdmaudiodev] Re: HCK for Windows 8.1 and USB Audio Class 2 devices

  • From: Franz Detro <franz.detro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 09:06:15 +0200

Hi,

> Hi
> What miniport you use for your USB Audio Class 2 driver? If you use
> MiniportWaveRT or AVStream to implement your USB Audio Class 2 driver, as I
> known you do not need any HCK filter. If you use MiniportWaveCyclic to
> implement USB Audio Class 2 driver, the issue 3 which in your list is HCK's
> bug.

I am using MiniportWaveCyclic. I have seen that there is a HCK filter for this
failure (#2946), but it seems to not work here.

> You should can use HCK filter to filter it. Other issue should be your
> driver's bug.

I doubt that. IMHO it is not possible to reliably pass these KS Position tests,
as it takes a significant (and non-predictable) time to start the USB audio
stream and the audio data arrives in bunches worth 1 - 8 ms (due to the design
of USB 2 isoc transfers).

> In my experience most of HCK filter for USB Audio Class 1 driver is only for
> inbox UAA. If you implement a customer driver for USB Audio Class 1 device,
> you still need to pass those test.

But this is exactly my point: the inbox USB Audio Class 1 driver is not able to
pass this tests (due to the nature of USB audio streaming) and therefore the
failures are filtered for simple USB Audio Class 1 devices that use this inbox
drivers. I could now try to implement lots of weird workarounds to somehow
cheat the test suite, but this will most probable break the driver for normal
operation.

> In my experience you just need to let you USB Audio Class 2 device action as
> HDA device, then you can pass HCK 2.1 test.

Did you ever succeed doing this for a USB Audio Class 2 device with your own
driver? If yes, which PortCls model did you use and how did you workaround the
USB specific limitations on startup times and data arrival jitter / buffer
sizes?

Thank you,
Franz