[wdmaudiodev] Re: GUID's for MMDevices Render and Capture

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:45:47 -0800

Markus Bollinger wrote:
> Can the driver (or the .inf file) decide about the values of the GUID's
> created in
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\
> Audio\Render ?
>
> I ask this question because in XP the GUID's are created with just
> incrementing the GUID by 1 for each device installed,
> and under Vista and Win7 there is always a totally different value used.
> As a result when you use DirectSoundEnumerate() the devices are ordered
> by GUID and you have not the same behaviour under XP and Vista.

It's still perfectly valid to create "type 1" GUIDs, where you increment
the top set of digits to get additional GUIDs.  The Uuidgen tool will
give you a base if you say "uuidgen -x".  If you say  "uuidgen -x -n5",
it will show you five sequential GUIDs:
C:\tmp>uuidgen -x -n5
59475074-09d9-11df-8605-044b80808003
59475075-09d9-11df-8605-044b80808003