[wdmaudiodev] Re: GFX/LFX fullduplex support.

  • From: Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wdmaudiodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 13:32:16 -0700

Hakon Strande wrote:

> It is also there to be USED by applications in their audio graph and
> as an example of that the Microsoft RTMedia API includes this AEC DMO
> and most other communication processing algorithms an application will
> need.

I have never encountered the phrase "Microsoft RTMedia API" before, and
neither Google nor MSDN provides any help.  Is that an official name for
something I might know by some other name?

> In Vista I don’t see the need to ship AEC, mic array processing, etc
> in a device centric fashion anymore especially because you cannot
> guarantee that YOUR input and output endpoints controlled by your
> driver will BOTH be the ones used by the user’s communication
> applications.

In the most general case, you are correct.  However, more than 99.99% of
the time, a system has exactly one output device, and I only care about
my own input device.  It's hard to see how that can go wrong.

> Given the fragmented device ecosystem...

Is that really the case any more?  At one time, long ago, this was
certainly true.  Today, however, audio is becoming one of the most
homogenous subsystems there is.  Intel claims that 95% of PCs and 100%
of Macs on sale today include HDAudio hardware.  Excluding
special-purpose professional audio systems, the audio ecosystem is FAR
more homogenous today than the graphics ecosystem, or even the
networking ecosystem.

> ...AEC really belongs in the app graph and not as a device (one piece
> of silicon) specific feature although I am sure the community will
> disagree with me

Based on the feedback I get from my clients, yes, the community
disagrees.  ;)